Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture
The Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture (MAC) was founded in 1918 as the Eastern Washington State Historical Society. It was accredited by the American Association of Museums in 1972. In December, 1991, Spokane's Museum of Native American Cultures closed and designated the MAC as the recipient of the collection, adding 28,000 objects, 25,000 photographs and 7,000 volumes of books. Plans began shortly thereafter for a new, expanded facility. In December, 2001, the new MAC opened its doors. The complex includes the historic Campbell House, Cheney Cowles Museum and the main exhibition building.